Story by Dili Utomi.
The main hall of the Rockview Hotel, Apapa was the venue of the final assessment and award for the first Anchor Nigeria Skill Acquisition and Capacity building programme tailored for young cadets in the maritime sector.
The programme which consisits of different learning experiences for young people to be imparted with the rudiments of the operations in the maritime industry was organised by the well experienced radio show anchor and a journalist of repute, James Shodiya.
The major part of the programme had the onboard ship capacity building camping in September where they were taught various aspects of shipping ranging from nautical science to engine navigation, management and leadership. Part of the intentions of this programme is to generally give direction to young minds on the type of experiences and requirements needed for operation in the blue economy.
The contestants were also given an experience on the functions and management of terminals where cargoes are discharged and cleared before being taken possession of by the owner. This was also to impart the knowledge of transport and logistics on the cadets.
There was online voting for who would be the best of the six finalists who emerged from the lot and this carried a total of 70 percent of the total marks. The remaining 30 percent was for marks awarded by the in-house judges on the evening of the event on such qualities as confidence, delivery, knowledge of topics and execution of role.
The event had such notable maritime industry personalities as Capt. Alfred Oniye, Capt. Mike, Eze Damian Obianigwe who was represented by Princess Theresa Akuabata Orieh, Madam Bola Muse, Dr. Leonard Anyanwu who also represented by the maritime journalist McAnthony Onuoha, as well as Ms. Onome Joy Monije in attendance. There was also the launching of the Anchor magazine at the occasion.
Roseline Omolola Abolarinwa emerged the best cadet of the six finalists as she was awarded the One Hundred Thousand Naira (#100,000.00) cash prize among other gifts that were made available for the winner.
Ms. Onome Joy Monije spoke with the press at the end of it all and she expressed her delight at the event as she said that she was briefly onboard the ship with the cadets and that they were so eager to learn, she expresses the hope that the next edition of the programme will be bigger and better.
Madam Bola Muse also said that she was happy to support the organiser as she said that she is very honoured to by part of the whole event. Madam Muse advised the young ones to take advantage of the next edition as she hopes that it will be a grander event.
The organiser of the event, James Shodiya said that he feels speechless at the success achieved at the event and also feels elated and loved for the wonderful support that he got in the course of the programme.
For advert placement and more information, please call us on 08027590195, 08035721540 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or send us messages on twitter @dn_utomi or on instagram @utomidili
Leave a Reply